Spent 2 days to continue building the Aile Striker backpack. Yesterday started to apply the stickers and herein I declare the end of this project.
My toughest work so far. Started since end of December last year, and after 3 and a half months of working and delaying and finally it is completed.
Master Grade models will usually take me around 1 week, if I work on it everyday. But this Perfect Grade model is way too complicated to build thus it can't be compared. Plus I work on it on and off, due to our tight schedule in the university and in the hospital.
So this morning I woke up and get ready for the final step - top coating.
Removing the armor pieces from the frame piece by piece could be a pain. Extra attention needed because failure of knowing the orientation and direction of the attachments can easily break the pieces apart, if strong forces are being applied.
Unfortunately there were some casualties where I broke 3 pieces on its poles. Poles in holes attachment is the worst. If there's a slight deviation of force, the pole will just stuck in there with the broken piece on your hand and guilt on the other hand.
Semi gloss coating for the armors and weapons, dull coating for the internal skeletal aka the frame. I should have get a can of gloss coat as well for the chrome plated "Grand Slam" weapon, but I guess that is not worthy so I just skipped it.
Removing the armor pieces to reveal the panel lining and markering I have done long ago was quite satisfying. I really spent a lot of time to marker the inner frame especially the hydraulic pipes. I only used the markers without the aid of brush so it was a great pain for me.
Panel lining the inner frame was a pain too. Not only I was lining the hard to reach parts, when I think of those details will be covered by the armor pieces, it somehow gave me the feeling that it is not necessary to ink them.
But anyway, these details will only be seen if you cast the armors off. External detailing isn't as impressive as the interior ones.
Alright, after an hour of removing the armor pieces, time for coating. The weather was not that great as I expected. The sun went off and wind started to blow. I had to find a spot outside my house where wind speed was minimal.
It got me worried. I had to wait for the wind to stop blowing, and take that instant of seconds to spray before the wind started to blow again.
I placed the armor pieces in order so that I won't confuse with the left and right. But anyway this mobile suit's design is somewhat symmetrical so it doesn't matter if it got mixed up though.
Left at left and right at right. Middle compartment for the pieces from the torso and waist. Surprisingly huge number of pieces to be arranged before spraying.
Wanted to hang the Aile Striker to spray it but in the end I just placed it on the ground to spray, and flip it over to spray the part beneath.
Same goes to the beam rifle and sheild where both sides need to be covered. The inner part of the skirtings were well markered too thus I turned it over to cover those parts with dull coat too.
For the frame, I just place it on the stand and spray. I somehow forgotten to cover the medial parts thus the inner lower limbs and shoulder were not well coated. Too late when I realised it.
I sprayed the stand as well at the same time with the dull coat. I have a big issue with the stand where it comes out easily from the base thus losing its stability. The model might just fall off if it gets too lose. What a pain.
By the way, I think I am addicted to the toxic fumes of the top coat.
After about half an hour of spraying, I brought them back into the house and let them settle down. Until now, I am not sure how long should I let them untouched so that the coating will dry up completely. However I still can't help it and touch them here and there, in the end having coating particles on my fingers.
The number of armor pieces was overwhelming so I did not bother to arrange them in symmetry while I took the photo above. It still did not fail to impress me anyway.
Final touch up, done.
Applying the armor pieces back to the frame. I took this shot inspired by dannychoo. But the way I shoot it was not as great though.
Perfect Grade Aile Strike Gundam, assemble and completed by a casual collector. Although I did not apply any extensive skills like seamless, sanding, or air brushing, but I am quite satisfied on how the final product turned out to be with my limited modeling skills.
Stupid camera died again and my photo shotting stops there.
Will continue the review next time.
Price: 14,900yen (PG Strike)+ 5,000yen (Skygrasper + Aile Striker) - 1/10
Overall: 5/10 - Not something that I could collect. Its price is the biggest issue.
Edit: More photos here.